10-05-2013 | 13.57
DJ Dimitri Kneppers, our Resident of the Month, is a real foodie. His favourite dishes are stews made of fresh vegetables. Now that he is ill, we thought this recipe might cheer him up a little bit.
Stew with turnip greens
4 bunches of turnip greens
3 spring onions
150 grams organic bacon
1 kilo floury potatoes
150 ml whole milk
25 grams butter
1 clove of garlic
freshly ground white pepper
· Wash the turnip greens thoroughly, removing any grit and large stems, and slice them.
· Clean the spring onions and slice them thinly.
· Fry the slices of bacon until crisp and remove from the fat.
· Peel the potatoes, cut them in parts and simmer in salted water over low heat for 20 minutes.
· Once cooked, drain and mash the potatoes (not too finely).
· Add heated milk and butter.
· Add the turnip greens (raw!).
· Season with chopped garlic, seasalt and freshly ground white pepper.
Text: Bonita van Lier