31-03-2013 | 15.48
DJ Nuno Dos Santos is our Resident of the Month. Due to his Portugese roots, these salted cod croquettes were part of his childhood. A couple of years ago Nuno finally managed to prepare them all by himself. With a little help from his father Miguel, that is. Wanna try? Here we go!
500 grams of salted cod fillets
500 grams of potatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped
3 eggs, lightly beaten
· Start by soaking the salted cod for at least 24 hours. Remember to change the water frequently to get rid of the salt.
· The next day, clean the fish by removing skin and bones. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes (or until cooked through). Drain well and put the fillet on a clean tea towel. Rub the fish with the towel until shredded.
· Boil the potatoes in salty water and rice them.
· Put the chopped onion, garlic and parsley in a bowl. Add the shredded cod and riced potatoes. Season with pepper and salt (be careful as the fish may still be salty). Add the lightly beaten eggs and mix well.
· Shape the pasteis using 2 spoons as if you were making quenelles, and put them in the fridge for 20 minutes.
· Deep fry them in warm oil until golden brown. Serve with lemon wedges.
Text: Bonita van Lier